[Novalug] OT: Free to a good home Cat5e Cable

ethan@757.org ethan@757.org
Thu Nov 21 10:52:42 EST 2013

  Popping up the network finder from my house I see networks called...

I used to have an access point tied to a virtual machine running FreeBSD.
It had DHCP running giving out leases for 69.69.69.x, and a DNS server and
web server at 69.69.69.69. It had one DNS entry that was * that pointed to
that web server, a captive portal if you will. It was called Right Click
Save As, and just had a list of media (music and video files.)

I figured people would be like WHOOT and go crazy but most neighbors
thought it was a trap.

Looking at the logs, it was an insane amount of call backs from people's
computers that would connect to the network. 2nd was Microsoft trying to
call out to the update server, and 1st was google trying to snitch on
every user movement (people with that toolbar thing installed I'd guess.)

Google fans were crazy noisy.

I'm in a highly dense area. When I first moved in I could see 30 linksys
routers, so I would log into them and change the name to linksys# where #
is 1 to 30.

Fun times.

 			- Ethan