[Novalug] FreeNAS ZFS and NFS

John Holland jholland@vin-dit.org
Tue Nov 19 23:05:22 EST 2013

I just tried my wifi connection NFS4 to my Debian/ZFS* box with 4 drives
in RAIDZ and reads are like 80Mb/s, writes are like 30Mb/s (bits not
bytes). With dd if=/zero bs=4k writes are like 80-100Mb/s for 40MB and
400MB (other test was with a bunch of small files totalling 72MB (bytes))

My zfs sharing command on the server was

# zfs set sharenfs=rw=@192.168.61.45/24,rw,no_root_squash tank/mynewfs

I think my setup is fast enough for my needs, but I don't think ZFS is
the best speed demon. I like it more for the flexibility and snapshots.
MAybe there are issues with the FreeNAS and Linux combined?  I know
there can be issues with NFS v4 vs v3.  Does anyone make a NAS out of
Linux and ZFS?

John

*zfsonlinux.org