[Novalug] Choice of Linux database system for "smallish" project

Shawn Wilson ag4ve.us@gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 09:04:21 EST 2013

I'll bite on the why not mysql question: because mysql thinks that epoch is stored as a localized time. Meaning that if you store epoch as utc (is it ever anything else?) mysql will give you back time 4/5 hours off. You also can't delay relationship checking so you can't have a circular relationship. I had other gripes about mysql but I'm happy to say it's been so long since I've really had to use it that I've forgotten them. As little as I like Oracle or Microsoft - I would pick their paid database solutions over mysql.

However, sqlite should work (as long as you're not expecting multiple threads to work much faster than serial queries and cache some info before making a big, multi-row inert/alter).

Depending what you're doing, Mongo or elasticsearch might be viable options too (though this is getting back to server scale solutions which sqlite isn't - it runs phone apps among other things).