[Novalug] Participation in Maker Faire (sponsored by Nova-Labs)

Nick Danger nick@hackermonkey.com
Mon Nov 18 15:18:32 EST 2013

On 11/18/2013 01:41 PM, Charles R. Head wrote:

> We could run a booth whose intent would be to do the following:
>
>   * Explain what Linux is.
>   * Explain why anyone might want to use Linux.
>   * Show an example or two of how to use Linux.
>   * Encourage people to use Linux by passing out free CDs with Linux
>     on them.
>   * Recruit new membership for NoVALug.

Its a makerfair, I am willing to bet everyone there would know what
Linux is. That isn't to say they use it, but I don't think you'll need
to explain what it is. Recruiting is always good though :-)

When I first started messing with Arduino (very popular in maker
circles) I had issues with the IDE and Fedora. I ended up using Ubuntu
JUST for the arduino programming because the IDE wouldn't send the code
to the board and I had to job to do that wasn't messing with the IDE.
That problem has long since been solved. Not sure if problems like this
still exist or not, but that would be very helpful information for
Makerfair types, using the tool set, issues you might have, how to get
solve them.

> Have a couple of examples of RaspberryPi running to show how a kid
> might have a fun computer for cheap.  If we could have a RaspberryPi
> running a model car or something similar, that would be cool too.

This is not a bad idea as RasPis are pretty popular with maker circles
too. Again, not sure who there wouldn't know what it was/does, but then
you might get into a little more depth then. Tips for improving
performance, getting the most use of your limited SD card space, or just
a really good explanation of Raspian vs Pidora vs blah blah loads.

How about all the other alternatives to Arduino/Pi? And maybe why you
would use which for which purpose? The Beagle board is also popular but
its kinda heavy (and expensive) for some tasks.

Nick