[Novalug] OT question about a mathematician's proof of a program

Ed James edward.james@gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 05:51:50 EST 2013

And there's the major flaw in your theory. One needs to prove that
the "creation of a polynomial" itself has been done correctly.
People doing things by hand make mistakes.  This includes
the writing of any programs to automate "by-hand" processes.

I took a "proof of correctness" course as a grad school
requirement some years ago.  I considered it a joke.  It's
been removed as a requirement, iirc.  It was an interesting
concept for simple, linear programs.  I've yet to see a working
system, though.  How odd?

There is no such thing as a useful, secure system.  There is only "one
system seems to be more secure than another", so pick the
more secure one.  I took Jay's "suggestions" as a way of
showing that anything that might be totally secure is going to
be useless.

The funny thing is, if somebody tell me they have a totally secure
system, I'll just nod, smile, and say "That's nice".  Because they
can't prove to me it's secure, since I won't be allowed to examine
it.

Oh, and one last point - even if, somehow, somebody built a
"secure system", somebody else will compromise it eventually.
How and when does the original builder catch on that the
system has been compromised?  Or --- when does the smart
guy realize that there's somebody smarter than him who's not
announcing it?

Regards,
Ed James