[Novalug] Cloning a machine/drive: best practices?

Nick Danger nick@hackermonkey.com
Fri Nov 1 11:56:58 EDT 2013

On 11/01/2013 07:44 AM, Brandon Saxe wrote:

> I've never used Clonezilla as it was dependent on the network back in the day... I see now there is a live CD option. Anybody care to comment on how well that works for cloning disk to disk?

I used it regularly over this last year to do disk to disk cloning of
both regular HDs and a few SSDs. This was to clone Win7 boxes since our
other windows imaging tool wasn't working right. hah!

The ONLY drawback I would give to it, is that its an "offline" cloning
tool, so your source OS needs to be off. If you have to clone a live
box, although strictly speaking this isn't a clone then, I use Mondo
Rescue: http://www.mondorescue.org/

Nick