[Novalug] Recommendations for purchasing a new printer.

James Tuttle jwtuttle@gmail.com
Wed May 29 14:58:18 EDT 2013

I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but I just wanted to drop in here as a datapoint that I picked up two very nice HP LaserJets a while back from a Rasmus auction.  They are both still going strong, thousands of pages later.

Also had a Xerox Phaser CMYK laser (rebranded Tektronix, I think) that was good but burned through drums and transfer belts at a rate that made it uneconomical.  Also got that from Rasmus.

For whatever reason there doesn't seem to be a lot of contention for the printers on the Rasmus auctions, so you can sometimes pick them up very inexpensively.  Particularly when printers aren't the focus of a particular auction (e.g. it's just a general office liquidation and there are bigger-ticket items for sale).

If you can afford to wait around and look at their auctions, that's how I'd go.  The higher-end office printers are much better about having PostScript compatibility without relying on some crap Wintel driver than the low-end lasers, and definitely better than inkjets, in my experience anyway.

-James