[Novalug] Distros for old PCs?

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Sun May 19 13:46:55 EDT 2013

On Sun, 19 May 2013, greg pryzby wrote:
> free (will show memory)

 	free -m shows 475 used 529 free, 1005 total, and swap
2015, all free

> top (4th line) shows memory also

 	It shows Xorg 24100 and gnome-terminal 14272

>>> more /process/cpuinfo
>>> For CPU and other stuff.
>>

>>         I think you mean cat /proc/cpuinfo|more ; that gives a lot of info,
>> but I don't know what to look for. I do see Xeon as part of the model name.
>
> The lines that you are about are
>   model, model name, cpu MHz, processor.

 	under processor 0:
 	Model 4
 	Model Name Intel Xeon CPU 2.80 GHz

 	all ditto under processor 1

> The only thing that will change is processor will increment. The last
> is the number of 'cpus'-1. So if processor is 3, there are 4 cpus
> (that could be cores, hyperthreaded, etc). You will have at least 2 I
> assume.

 	Iiuc, I have exactly 2; there is no "processor 2"

--
Beartooth Implacable
Sine ferocia non libertas.