[Novalug] Jon LaBadie ..

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Fri May 17 23:05:09 EDT 2013

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 05:47:39PM -0400, cmhowe@patriot.net wrote:
> Jay,
>
> I used Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. The printer is an HP Laser Jet P1102w.
>
> It prints a test page, but nothing after that. That's the situation I've
> been stuck in for weeks.
>
> Thanks for being interested.
>
> Charlie

Charlie,

Your requests are always lacking information that would
assist your helpers.  For example, you say you have
installed the printer and that it won't print.  But
you have not said how you installed it, nor what you
have tried to print to it except a vague reference to
lowriter.  You typically don't show the commands you
used nor the exact results and error messages.

Let's check if you have an installed printer.

The command "lpstat" can output many aspects of your
printer system.  For example, you can get a list of
installed printers with the "-p" option.  Here is a
run on my system.

  $ lpstat -p
  printer HP1700 is idle.  enabled since Wed 13 Feb 2013 12:34:39 AM EST
  printer R3500 is idle.  enabled since Thu 16 May 2013 02:15:39 PM EDT
            Ready to print.

So I've got two printers installed, called "HP1700"
and "R3500".  I selected these names when I installed
the printers using the browser interface of CUPS.

What do you get with "lpstat -p" ?

Typically one printer is designated the default printer.
Have you designated one to be default?

What do you get with "lpstat -d" ?  I get this:

  $ lpstat -d
  system default destination: R3500

Earlier you thought your print queue was jammed.  Well
check it with "lpq -a".  Mine is not jammed and I get:

  $ lpq -a
  no entries

Assuming your printer showed up with "lpstat -p" and
your queue is empty, try printing a file with "lp".
For example, try "lp -d <printer_name> /etc/passwd".
Replace <printer_name> with the name reported by lpstat.
If you HPLJ printer is the system default you can omit
the "-d <printer_name>".  As my R3500 is my default
I can do either:

  $ lp -d R3500 /etc/passwd

or

  $ lp /etc/passwd

Tell us what you get with these commands.

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)