[Novalug] Small footprint DNS server?

John Franklin franklin@elfie.org
Fri May 17 10:59:29 EDT 2013

I have a small VM at home (128M running NetBSD) to serve as my internal DNS server.  It also hosts my DHCP server, automatically updating the in-house zone and serves as the caching name server for machines in the house.  I could probably trim the VM to 96M (maybe even 64M) if I dropped the DHCP server.

I concur with John.  Use what you're comfortable managing (and your boss is comfortable deploying.)  A far as recommendations, I'd say any BSD will work and have a small footprint.

If you want to be silly about it, suggest getting some Raspberry Pis to host the DNS server, and write a small program that takes the six most popular domain requests and renders the front page of each on a rotating cube.

jf