[Novalug] VBOX and KVM on same machine

greg pryzby greg@pryzby.org
Fri Mar 22 11:50:53 EDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Jon LaBadie <novalugml@jgcomp.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 07:56:27AM -0400, greg pryzby wrote:
> > Have you tried?
> >
> Not for quite a while.
>
> > Is there an issue with it?
> >
> It wasn't possible the last time I tried and I haven't
> heard since.  A web search showed lots of failure comments
> but nothing like "you can now".
>
> > Any reason you want to run both?
> >
> Any reason for KDE and Gnome, vi and gedit, ...

uhm, no. I will use vi until I die and won't use a different editor. Try
again :)

For WM, I can run a different one at login or more likely I would install a
VM to test something vs polluting a system w/ multiple WMs, but that is me.

> I'm familiar with VBox and will be running it.
> It would be nice to try KVM again but if it
> won't run simultaneously with VBox I won't try

For your case I would probably try on a different machine.

That said I imaging the issue is running both AT THE SAME TIME. So if you
turned off automatic loading/start of both and start/stop them when you
need/want them they could probably live side my side (like WM).

But I don't know. I use KVM and am happy with it. Mostly because I don't
know anything about VB and don't run anything from Oracle, EMC (including
VMware) or Microsoft. But my religion costs me in creating ignorance.

For now, I am ok with that.

--
greg pryzby                              greg at pryzby dot org
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gpryzby

TWTR: gpryzby
WEB:  http://www.MakeRoomForArt.com/
BLOG: http://www.ryqyrmedia.com/ (son's)