[Novalug] Fingerprint reader - you're kidding

bidwell mbidwell@gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 08:10:06 EDT 2013

On 03/20/2013 10:36 PM, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> I've got Fedora 18 on a new system.  One annoyance is
> su'ing to root.  I know, don't do it.  But I do and
> will continue to do so.
>
> When ever I su to root it takes over a minute from
> entering the password to getting a prompt.  I've put
> "got here's" in the various profiles and rc scripts
> but none of them get touched until after the minute
> is up.
>
> I finally found the cause.  In the "advanced options"
> of the "system-config-authentication" panel is a
> "enable Finger Print Reader" (FPR) check box.  The
> delay was initializing my non-existant FPR and
> eventually timing out.
>
> But why would it be enabled by default??  Can't be
> that big a percentage of users that have an FPR.
> And those that do have an FPR can surely find out
> how to activate it more easily than someone without
> an FPR can find out it is enabled.
>
> jl
Amen!  This is also present in RedHat and CentOS. One of the things you
have to remember to do when setting up a new server is to go through and
comment them out. Other minor annoyance is the gssapi options in SSHD
really seem to slow down SSH.
Matt