[Novalug] "Resolved:" Disk Partition Misalignment

Roger W. Broseus rogerb@bronord.com
Sat Mar 9 18:10:03 EST 2013

Didn't work as advertised BUT I monkeyed around and got rid of the
misalignment warning.

So, once again, MAN CONQUERS MACHINE, beating it into submission (by trial and
error). <big sigh of relief>

FYI: Recall: I'm working w/ a 1 TB HD. There was speculation that this problem
is related to size of disk. I've not seen it before with smaller disks, e.g.,
up to 320 GB.

Aligning with cylinders did not work: Created a new partition table type GPT.
Did many different combinations of partitions, to no avail. Including, created
a swap partition at the beginning of the disk, selecting align on cylinder
boundary. Still get misalignment errors.

I fiddled around with leaving empty space of varying sizes at the beginning of
the disk - that made the misalignment values change but not go away!

** Solution ** I'm not really sure WHY this worked: I created a smaller, 8GB
swap partition and *aligned on MIB*, not cylinder. Voilà: no more misalignment
warnings. I watched for them with Disk Utility while creating partitions one
at a time, aligning on MIB. So, my guess this problem is related either to
disk size or the particular disk I bought - an HGST Travelstar 2.5" 1TB, 7200
rpm SATA drive.

Thanks for the moral support.

--
Roger W. Broseus - Linux User
     Email:RogerB@bronord.com

On 03/09/2013 03:00 PM, greg pryzby wrote:
> http://www.sitepoint.com/ubuntu-12-04-lts-precise-pangolin-using-gparted-to-partition-a-hard-disk/
>
> gparted
> mktable gpt
> I (ignore)
> Create a new partition and "Align to" pick MiB vs Cylinder
>
> see if that helps
[snip]