[Novalug] actiontec router problem

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Fri Mar 8 11:35:35 EST 2013

On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 10:56:17AM -0500, covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> Hi.  I am stumped here as to a problem with my actiontec router, or
> maybe its just a dumb network  problem.
>
> I am using the actiontec on my internal network which is device eth0, to
> control wireless and tv only -- I use another network card directly
> connected to my ont.
>
> Now my normal network is 192.168.0.0, but the router is 192.168.1.1, so
> I have the following statements  in my equivalent of rc.local
> route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth0
> and I can ping the router itself, but any host inside the router's
> network always says unreachable.  I also did the following with no
> success:
> ifconfig eth0:1 inet  192.168.1.160 netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> I changed the dhcp range in the router, so that the range went from
> 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.150.
>
> The router wan port is the one connected to my eth0, through a switch.
>
> What am I missing here?

Don't use the wan port at all.  Have your switch feed the routers
switch via one of the lan ports.  Don't let the ActionTec do dhcp
for an overlapping range as your other dhcp server.  You only
really want it to do dhcp for coax connected devices.

jl
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)