[Novalug] Remote access to my desktop: X-Windows?

Don E. Groves, Jr. dgrovesjr@gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 14:15:48 EST 2013

Why not use  "ssh -x"?  Please do tell
  The "rant" X-Windows Disaster from the UNIX-HATERS Handbook is more of
a tongue-in-cheek satire.

In the past I've even used it across a dial-up connect (9600) and it was
useable for low demand things.

Today ssh'ing with '-x' across Wireless and it's the same, almost, as being
at the keyboard once you start a desktop manager.

If you're doing all this across a secure network then and your display
server supports it you could always use XDMCP.  See "XDMCP Server
Configuration".

vnc   -- will let share the full desktop
{  some display servers (lightdm) even have there own support for vnc. }

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Roger <RogerB@bronord.com> wrote:

> I expect to be mobility impaired for a couple of weeks and my main machine
> is down a flight of steps. The question: how do I access it remotely with a
> GUI interface?
>
> I assume that I should first activate "wake-on-LAN" so that I don't have
> to leave the unit powered up for two weeks.
>
> I thought -x and ssh was my answer until I read the "rant,"
> X-Windows Disaster from the UNIX-HATERS Handbook
>
> Suggestions, not to include EMacs its a OS, etc. I'm not after CLI on the
> remote. I want full function with T'byrd, Libre Office, Firefox, etc.
>

> -- Roger

Don E. Groves, Jr.

Tag it's your turn now... ... ....