[Novalug] Reporting a problem

Varol Okan mymail@MovingSatellites.com
Fri Mar 1 21:17:41 EST 2013

I Switched to ZBox myself ( ID 41, was the only avail choice for a
dual-DVI port and reasonable HW acceleration for a reasonable price.

 From your snippet below I figure you have a packaging issue, I don't
use Ubuntu, so can't help, but google is your friend.

"When i attempt to use my email package, Firefox 2.0 (I guess), I am
greeted with the message:"
Firefox is a browser, are you talking about Thunderbird maybe ? Or are
you using gmail in Firefox ? Me == confused.

" As I said earlier, I would prefer to mail this, i. e., use the USPS. But I
am not even certain that I will be able to send this by email."
Whaaaa ? Mail the computer ? What does "this" in the sentence above
refer to ?

As an aside, I tried to upgrade an older laptop about a year ago from
OpenSuse 11.1 to 12.2 and I failed due to missing Gfx driver. So I went
and I thought maybe Windows would be running better, and I failed due to
missing Gfx driver. 800x600 is just no fun in this day and age.

So I think there is some HW which is no longer OS compliant so-to-speak.

Varol :)

---

List,

I bought (from Advanced20000, 822 S Pickett St, Alexandria, 22304) a new
computer. It is called "ZBox" by the manufacturer, Zotac (I guess;
unimportant). What I had was unusable after I attempted to update from
10.04 to 12.10. (I wanted 12.04 LTS, and would still prefer that, but I am
pessimistic about that little detail.

It is probably worth noting that I now have two leftover computers,
available to anyone who wants them. One of them is the one that I just
describe. (The other is a leftover from even earlier.)

It is worth noting that I switched from Verizon to Comcast. Take my word
for it: I had good reason for doing so, but I'm not going to give you a
blow-by-blow.

So my setup is a box from Comcast and a computer. Its size is about the
same as the computer. There was no ability to send and receive stuff over
the air. I wanted, and still want, a hotspot.

Acting on the advice of someone on this list I bought a Tella Router (the
price on the box is $45 but I actually paid $15, as I was lead to believe
I would pay. My Ethiopian friend, Tseageye (sp?) Mola, attempted to
install it and to register both it and my Kindle fire with Amazon. I would
prefer for Amazon not to be involved, but I am not offered any chance of
opting out.

When i attempt to use my email package, Firefox 2.0 (I guess), I am
greeted with the message:

A error occurred, please run Package Manager from the right click menus or
apt-get in a terminal to see what is wrong. The message was 'Error'
Opening the cache (E: Encountered a section with no Package header, E:
Problem with Merge List /var/lib/apt/lists
ur.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists
ur.archive.ubuntu_Ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_updates_name_i18n_Translation_en,
E:the package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.) This
usually means that your installed packages have unmet dependencies.

Then I looked at the screen and saw, on the titlebar, a circle with a red
dash in the middle. When I clicked on it I saw tye following message:

Could not initialize the package information. An unresovable problem
occurred while initializing the package information. Please report this
bug against the 'update-manager'and unclude the following message:E:
Encountered a section with Package header, E: Problem with Merge List
/var/tab/apt/limits/us.archivs.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_updates_main_i18m_Treestatus-en,
E: This package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Due to the similarity in wording it is plausible to believe that the two
error notifications are identical.

As I said earlier, I would prefer to mail this, i. e., use the USPS. But I
am not even certain that I will be able to send this by email.

Comments, suggestions welcomed.

Charie