[Novalug] Plug computers

Stephan Greene ks1g04@gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 19:30:17 EDT 2013

I have several plug systems, I think they are all derivatives of the Marvel
Sheevaplug design:

Tonidoplug:  Marketed as a "personal cloud" system (you can web-access via
direct IP or through a redirector via tonido).  I have one of the original
verions running as a household NAS with a pair of 1TB drives over a USB 2
connection.  They have a newer model out now that supports an internal SATA
drive.  The older one is the size of  a large wall-wart; the newer model is
larger. The v1 can be booted from USB so you can run your own system
instead of their's.  Don't know about the new model.

Pogoplug - several versions are out there, I picked up one that has
external SATA and USB3 support and a docking bay for a drive.  The drive
bay and USB2 port are bootable.  I'm running Arch Linux on it.  Easy to do,
since the device will boot

Guruplug - this one is a dissapointment.  Runs loud (fan), hot, and you
need to fabricate a serial interface cable and/or acquire a JTAG card to
get console access to make it do anything other than run the shipped OS
(debian for ARM).  Pity - has External SATA support, USB, and wifi.  It's
been sitting in the box for ages, thinking of making it a print server if I
can put it somewhere where I won't mind the noise.

None of these systems are processing or thruput heavyweights.  Although I
was quite happy to have a system with that much processing and storage
capacity not all that long ago (at least in human years).  IMO they're good
for dedicated appliance applications.

There's an Arch Linux site dedicated to these Arm-based systems with plenty
of information on how to get Arch Linux installed and customized.
http://archlinuxarm.org/
<http://archlinuxarm.org/>

Steve