[Novalug] Printer question

Ed James edward.james@gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 20:15:39 EDT 2013

I checked out the HP website, which re-directs Linux users
to another site:

   http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/installtree.html

Depending on your distribution, the following command might
help to see if you already have the HPLIP driver installed:

root@nick:~# dpkg -l hplip

(Yes, I run as root - sue me)

Below is the output on my machine.  Note that the "ii" at the
beginning of the last line indicates that the package is installed:

Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend

   ii  hplip          3.11.7-1ubuntu HP Linux Printing and Imaging System
(HPLIP)

The instructions on the suggested web page leads to a page that allows one
to determine which version of HPLIP one needs for a given printer.  For the
Laser Jet Professional P1102W, the recommended version is 3.10.4.  I
do not own or have access to that particular printer, so I can't do any real
testing.  Nor will I download it myself in case it messes up what I already
have working.  Been there, done that, learned my lesson.

So, if the driver is already installed, some tweaking might be needed.  If
not,
then a download/install is probably needed.  First step in resolving this
issue should be deciding which of the previous two cases is the problem.

Note - I am not a printer expert.  There might be other drivers that work.
I only know for sure what works for me and my trusty HP LJ 1200.

Ed James