[Novalug] Why Python

shawn wilson ag4ve.us@gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 08:47:05 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 7:33 AM, Ed James <edward.james@gmail.com> wrote:

> One small point about picking up a new language is that often
> a coder owns a goodly amount of code from an older (to him/her)
> language that he/she can cut-and-paste from.  That's probably
> not going to be the case with a new language, and just adds to
> the adoption curve.

There's also variable scope / gc (ie, how to make a closure), and how
name spaces are defined (what gets looked at first, whether I can
redefine or undefine a namespace, etc) and variable type (do I have
real arrays, is everything a str and is an int really a float), how
objects and structs are used (I'm looking at you C++). If you've
programmed for a while, you write a few tests and generally figure
this all out in a few minutes (or don't and trip over it -> me).