[Novalug] Why Python

James Ewing Cottrell III JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Sun Jul 21 01:20:00 EDT 2013

On 7/19/2013 8:38 PM, Varol Okan wrote:
> I have been happily using bash for all my needs and once in a blue moon
> I used Perl.
>
> Looking at the current scripting landscape I see mostly Python and Ruby.
>   From all I can tell it seems Python is the one used most broadly.
>
> Ruby is currently a hot commodity in the job market AFAIKT.

Mostly because of Rails.

> I played around with Python a bit and went through a bunch of 'boring'
> tutorials and I don't know why this is such a big thing.

Because people got tired of Perl's Insanity.

> Looking at Ruby I found a couple of very interesting and exciting tutorials.
> http://railsforzombies.org/ was the one I liked best ( grin ) but there
> were other great tuts out there.
>
> So my question is then, what is it with Python ? Why has Python
> strangled other scripting languages ?

It has found its own niches. Lot of Numerical Computing people use it.
And Django does more or less the same thing that Rails does.

Maybe people like it because of its Simplicity. Perl is Insane, and
Python has finally caught up to it as far as Libraries/Modules go.

Ruby has some Interesting Things but many of them are Head Scratchers.

> Varol

JIM