[Novalug] Managed DNS services recommendation

greg pryzby greg@pryzby.org
Fri Jul 19 15:11:46 EDT 2013

+1

since I own a domain, I have a cname <whatever>.dyndns.org to <something>.
domain.com

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM, John Holland <jholland@vin-dit.org> wrote:

> I've had good results with dyndns.org , which is free as in beer (don't
> know about speech as it's a web operation). I have a script on my home
> box that updates the jbholland.dyndns.org entry regularly. I think there
> are a couple of scripts/programs around for dyndns.
>
> I wouldn't rely on a dynamically assigned IP for anything important but
> it makes it easy to connect in to my house when I need to.
>
> John
>

> John Place <jplace@unixsage.com> writes:
>
> > Valid point, my "dynamic" ip has not changed in over 2 years.. I admit
> > if it happened more than that I would use a ddns provider.. and cname my
> > "home" name to that... To date is has not been an issue...
> >
> > Thanks
> > John
> >
> > On 07/19/2013 02:31 PM, Christopher Jones wrote:
> >> Be aware that if you use this for home use or on a dynamic ip there is
> >> no way to automate the process of changing the dns record with
> >> godaddy. I use them and that's the only problem I have.

greg pryzby                              greg at pryzby dot org
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gpryzby

TWTR: gpryzby
WEB:  http://www.MakeRoomForArt.com/
BLOG: http://www.ryqyrmedia.com/ (son's)