[Novalug] Sendmail MASQ

Richard Rognlie rrognlie@gamerz.net
Mon Jul 1 09:49:28 EDT 2013

the question is... does somedomain.org have any policies that it advertises
with DNS.  By that I mean, does it support SPF and/or DKIM?

SPF allows somedomain.org to tell the world "Hey!  If you get an email from
someuser@somedomain.org from an IP other than one of the ones I tell you
are legitimate... it probably isn't"

There are issues around SPF notably around relayed mail e.g. mailing lists
and forwarding.

DKIM allows somedomain to cyrptographically sign the message, and as a
recipient, you can verify whether a) mail from somedomain.org should be
signed, and b) if it is signed, validate that it is legitimate and unaltered.

if you receive mail from a domain that advertises that all mail from that
domain should be DKIM signed, and it isn't (or the signature validation
fails)...  treat it with suspicion.

On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 09:39:38AM -0400, Christopher Jones wrote:
> So I'm trying to masquerade email sent from  a RHEL6 box to numerous emails
> within and outside of my domain. I want the emails to read that they come
> from somedomain.org.
>
> As far as I can tell  I can email out as any user and it does send as  "
> anyuser@somedomain.org"  after setting up masquerading but all my email end
> up in junk in outlook. I assume the server or outlook its self can tell
> that the email has been altered but I need it to really seem as though its
> coming from somedomain.org legitimately and not end up in everyone's junk
> email.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --
> Chris Jones
> RHCSA

 /  \__  | Richard Rognlie / Comcast Cog / Gamerz.NET Lackey
 \__/  \ | http://www.gamerz.net/~rrognlie    <rrognlie at gamerz.net>
 /  \__/ | Creator of pbmserv@gamerz.net
 \__/    |                Helping reduce world productivity since 1994