[Novalug] Ubuntu installation versions (was: Recommendations for reading/self-learning - > Virtual Infrastructure and Cisco)

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater@linux-etc.com
Wed Jan 30 15:43:14 EST 2013

<disclaimer>
This is not to start a flame war or similar about Ubuntu and it's installation methodologies vs. <insert another distro here>.
</disclaimer>

Greg:

I agree that it would be nice to "build and choose".  However, from a different perspective, the Ubuntu Desktop was meant as a "LiveCD" distro for the lay-person to just install or "test drive" it without having to "think" much I suspect.  For the "seasoned" users, going the Alternative (which is aimed for Desktops with "advance" installation options such as LVM use) or Server route (more minimalistic oriented) would be the better option.

So for those wanting a Desktop + LVM (and then some options) using Ubuntu, go with the Alternative installation media.  For a server (or "minimalistic" oriented) build of Ubuntu...Server installation media (of course ;-) ).

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA
voice:  +1.303.604.2550
web:    http://www.linux-etc.com

Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary.  Be friendly to the environment by saving paper.