[Novalug] cheap, ahem, inexpensive NAS and replication?

jecottrell3@comcast.net jecottrell3@comcast.net
Fri Jan 18 14:53:39 EST 2013

Since DRBD uses TCP, it works Just Fine over distance. The only problem is that the Secondary is Not Available.

IIRC, you cannot mount the Secondary, not even Read Only. The best way to think of it is as a Remote Mirror.

However, you can break the mirror, and even swap Primary and Secondary roles quite easily.

JIM

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Danger" <nick@hackermonkey.com>
To: "Brander Snaxe" <brandon20va@yahoo.com>
Cc: novalug@calypso.tux.org
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 9:30:21 AM
Subject: Re: [Novalug] cheap, ahem, inexpensive NAS and replication?

On 1/18/2013 8:34 AM, Brander Snaxe wrote:

What's the schedule for sync? Every hour? Every day? Once a week?

If you could just send the differences over then it would be more efficient.

I am not sure if you could use LVM COW disks and actually send those over or not. Would be interesting....

Another option you could use is a distributed DRBD. As you said, your data is not big. This may work.

DRBD looks really interesting but I havent touched it at all. And would it work over a distance? I can vlan/tunnel the cards between the two servers but I am going to get a bit of latency between the two as they are quite a bit apart.

I didn't know LVM COW could work across devices, I thought that was only for volumes on the same server.

I have some pointers now and going to get cracking along. I'll let you all know in a few weeks what I end up doing. Thanks for all the advice :-)

Nick