[Novalug] RasPi Night w/ MAKE and Nova Labs - TOMORROW 1/17 8PM

Eric Miller internetjanitor@gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 10:27:24 EST 2013

All,

 Nova Labs is hosting an open house and RasPi hacking night tomorrow in
Reston.  Everyone in the DC/VA/MD area is welcome and encouraged to attend.
 MAKE Magazine will be doing a Google Hangout from Nova Labs and the
Northern Virginia hacker/maker community is excited to make a big splash on
the Maker radar.  Gareth Branwyn, editor in chief of Make, and Alberto
Gaitan of international fame will be in attendance to welcome Nova Labs
onto the scene and share the latest edition of the Magazine.  Keep reading
for more details.

RSVP here: http://www.meetup.com/makermeetup/Reston-VA/852072/

Join MAKE magazine http://makezine.com, leader of the maker movement for
its second International maker meetup around the release of MAKE Magazine
Volume 33: Software for Makers, hitting newsstands January 22nd, 2013. Join
us as we take a deep dive into the magazine and take a special look at one
of the most popular microcontrollers on the market today: Raspberry Pi.

Often when we think of making we envision physical objects like wood,
metal, and electronic components. But as fellow makers we know that
software has become a critical part of the making process. Today software
is as important to makers as soldering irons and screwdrivers. MAKE volume
33 looks at the software you need to become a great maker, featuring 22
great projects you can build, showcasing the way in which software has
become a critical part of the making process.

Join Fellow Makers in your Community and a chance to win a Raspberry Pi
Starter Kit:

In the last couple of years we have seen the rise of 3-D printing and CNC
cutting for the do-it-yourselfer, along with the growing popularity of
Arduino microcontrollers, hobby robotics, and affordable CAD/CAM tools.
Come join MAKE Magazine for our second international maker meetup! Share
how the software you use today has transformed your DIY skills. Plus, MAKE
will be offering the top three highest attending meetups a stipend of $200
for food and beverage. Five lucky winners will receive MAKE’s very own
Raspberry Pi Starter kits, which includes a copy of Getting Started with
Raspberry Pi. The first 25 meetups to sign-up will each receive a signed
copy of the book, Getting Started with Raspberry Pi to host their own local
raffles. All meetup attendees will receive a free PDF download of MAKE
Magazine Volume 33.

During the meetup, the MAKE team and featured guests Matt Richardson and
Shawn Wallace, authors of Getting Started with Raspberry Pi will join us in
a live Google+Hangout On Air at 9PM EST https://plus.google.com/+MAKE/posts.
They’ll talk about the featured projects in the magazine and discuss
everything Pi. They’ll offer tips and hints of how to maximize your
interaction with tools and software. You’ll be able to engage in a live
chat with the participating guests and ask them questions as well as share
your own projects.

Whether you’re a designer, inventor, hacker, tinkerer or weekend
DIYer—anyone interested in finding out more about software, arduino
projects, internet-based projects, projects using parts fabrication, or
anything in between are welcome to join in the conversation. We suggest
getting together at convenient locations such as a hackerspace, coffee
shop, community center, library or restaurant. Bring your laptop, tablet,
or smartphone to access the Internet and G+ Hangout on Air.