[Novalug] oowriter

Gary Knott garyknott@gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 19:37:05 EST 2013

(oops, I forgot the "calypso" in sending.)

Dear Charlie,

You wrote:

I am trapped in the following situation: When I boot I can can choose to
go to a screen which allows me to send and receive mail, browse and
Google. Alternatively I can go to a sceen which allows me to use open
office, specifically oowriter and use the command line and thus a text
editor. But not both, which is very inefficient.

Perhaps you meant:

I am trapped in the following situation: When I boot I can can choose to
go to a screen which allows me to send and receive mail, browse and
Google. Alternatively I can go to a screen which allows me to use open
office, specifically oowriter.  Or I can go to a terminal-window and use
the command line and thus a text
editor. But not both, which is very inefficient.

---  So, to "goto"  these windows (not really "screens",)
 I presume you click on an icon that has somehow been established
in your "desktop".  You should be able to click on your browser icon, and
then resize or minimize the resulting window so you can  see and use your
other
icons.  Then you can click on your terminal-window icon.  Now you have two
programs running: your browser and your terminal-window.  You can move these
and resize them to see your oowriter icon and you can click on that to run
oowriter.  Now you have three windows for three running programs.

[You can just as well run oowriter from within your terminal-window, just
as you
were thinking, once you know the appropriate path to type to run it.
(why doesn't just typing oowriter work?  anybody?  - isn't it "on the
path"?)]

Anyway, the command [locate oowriter] in your terminal window should
indeed tell you the full path of oowriter.

The benefit of having your browser, oowriter and your terminal-window all
running is that, at least in principle, you can "copy and paste" from one
program to another, although i don't know if pasting anything in oowriter
is useful.  (My own opinion is that MS word is too hard to learn to use, so
I use emacs and TeX.)  If you are happy with plain text files, or want
sometimes
to make such, you can just run your chosen editor in your terminal-window
and it will run right-along-side oowriter and your browser.  The
issue is you have to move and resize (or "minimize") various windows
to be able to see and use the windows associated with
these various programs you get running.

Note you can also run more than one terminal-window in case
an editor or some other program 'takes-over" in the first terminal
window.

I hope this helps.  gary knott,   knott@civilized.com