[Novalug] Need help, read the post carefully

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Tue Jan 15 18:07:02 EST 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 04:21:27PM -0500, Nino R. Pereira wrote:
> I'd do
>
> find / -name 'oowriter*'
>
> or
>
> find / -name 'ooffice*'
>
> I get /usr/bin/oowriter or /usr/bin/ooffice
>
> I can type either ooffice or oowriter,
> and in both cases do I get a GUI-type word processor, OpenWriter or
> OpenOffice as the case may be.

In my limited survey of distributions, they all seem to
enable the "locate" command.  For some purposes locate is
sufficient and MUCH faster than find.

  $ locate oowriter	# any file with oowriter in its path

  $ locate */oowriter	# file named exactly oowriter

jl
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)