[Novalug] Upgrading from Fedora 13 to Fedora 17/18

Ed James edward.james@gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 14:48:28 EST 2013

FWIW,

   I've hit problems doing upgrades in Linux, prolly because I wait for
a pretty long time between upgrades.  Sometimes the upgrade is
"radical" in that it's from one distribution to another where the packagers
differ on "how to do the right thing".  Anyway, the simplest solution I've
used is to yank out the old flash drive (been running on just USB thumb
drive thingies for a while now), plug in a new ("blank") one, install the new
OS, and plug/mount the old one in the /media dir.  Also makes it way easy
to regress back to the old system, if needed.

   I did a hybrid thing where the old stuff stayed on the old HD, and the new
stuff went onto a new USB flashdrive - but the basic concept is the same.
I figure the wife and I will eventually set up some kind of NAS thing one of
these days for vids and whatnot, so that user files don't shuffle around as
much.

Ed James