[Novalug] KVM host setup inquiry: Accessing client vms from kvm host via ssh, or otherwise, using the requisite ip fails...

Mon Jan 14 06:24:05 EST 2013

Thanks for the coherent and on-point analysis.

On 01/14/2013 02:13 AM, Maxwell Spangler wrote:
> You can work-around this by enabling a host-only bridge such as the
> 'virbr0' (192.168.122.x) network you'll find on Redhat/Fedora/CentOS
> systems.  Then, make a second virtual network interface in your VM
> connect it to this bridge.  Your host and guest will be able to talk
> to each other using this network and because the connection is
> internal only, they will do so at very high speed.
>
> I would also suggest setting up an admin VM bridged to the same
> macvtap interface and use it for testing purposes.  You might have
> problems with a network service running on the macvtap bridge that
> your host can't communicate with.  So you can't perform any testing
> tools from the host to investigate it, but a second VM bridged to the
> same network can.  You'd be able to use virsh or virt-manager to
> connect to the admin VM's console, then use that to interact with the
> services VM.

The aspect of bridged network setup is exactly what I was assuming is
going on with VBox, during my ramble in my original post.  (The
parenthesised aspect near the bottom.)

As I was saying then, this is the only way to get the guests to talk to
each other, and the host, while using virtualbox for desktop
virtualization.

So, I guess I will just have to get this same network setup on this
virtualization host, manually.

Thanks for the update, it is very helpful, because while I had an
assumption that your solution what the case, I hadn't thought about the
technique to set it up yet.

Thanks for the head start.

--
Respectfully,