[Novalug] Wireless router w/ gigabit

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Fri Jan 11 12:29:07 EST 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 10:24:00AM -0500, greg pryzby wrote:
> I decided I want to upgrade my wireless and buy something that works
> well. I didn't know if anyone had suggestions.
>
> REQUIREMENTS
>    WiFi (support n and g)
>    gigabit ethernet (4 or 8 if possible)
>    does NOT need to be hackable, logs, etc
>
> Today I have my Verizon serving my desktop, wifi in house, a netgear 4
> port gigabit switch, and airport extreme (for Airplay + additional
> wifi). I don't think I can replace the Verizon because I like my TV
> guide on the Verizon DVR.
>
> I am looking at replacing the 4 port switch and running wifi from the
> new device vs Verizon. Although maybe I will have 3 wifi networks.
>
> Suggestions welcome.

I'm using my second Netgear router/switch.  First only had g protocol
and 100Mb ports.  Been happy with both.  Two features to consider,
simultaneous use of both 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz bands.  Gives more opportunity
to find a channel free from neighbor's WiFi.  The other is a guest net.
Allows you to specify separate access to the internet without giving
access to your LAN.

BTW I have the Verizon FiOS cat 5 feeding the Netgear router directly.
The Verizon router is plugged (via a second switch) into the Netgear
switch.  The Verizon router still has a coax connection for the TV
guide.  Separating them let me optimize the location of the Netgear
router.  If needed you could probably use the Verizon router as a
second network or as an access point.

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)