[Novalug] Network Help! (virtualization involved)

greg pryzby greg@pryzby.org
Tue Jan 1 11:18:41 EST 2013

On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 2:06 AM, Alex Smith (K4RNT)
<shadowhunter@gmail.com> wrote:
> Be *very* careful, especially if your device does really have a DHCP server
> enabled, it could conflict with your main router, creating connectivity
> problems.

Yep... Card does it correctly. Don't ask me how, but there is NO issue.

> However, if they both are connected to the same network, and both have
> connectivity, it may just be a routing issue, given that, from your
> description of your environment, your tuner box is outside the regular
> network and it's trying to have the traffic go outbound to the ISP.

Only need packets from VM (guest) to HOST for tuner traffic. There is
NOTHING to internet. Again, setting up a bridge 'solved' the problem.
I am confident that IP_FORWARDING would also, but it is working and
unless someone can tell me why I should use forwarding vs a 'second
nic for the VM' I am going to leave it alone.

it works :)

> You can just add a route to your routing tables on each client, or change
> the subnet mask on your router for the internal network to something that
> would encapsulate both your .xxx.y and .200.x networks.
>
> You could change your subnet mask to a class B instead of a class C. Easiest
> way would be just to change the subnet mask from what is probably the
> default of 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0.

Yea did that, but didn't have ip forwarding on, which I am confident
was the issue.