[Novalug] Tribblix

John Holland jholland@vin-dit.org
Tue Dec 31 16:43:23 EST 2013

I just stumbled upon and installed Tribblix, an Opensolaris->Illumos
*nix clone. It is the creation of Peter Tribble, a UK sysadmin.

It runs in a KVM VM by using an SATA hard drive and switching from the
view menu to the serial console for the initial install.

It seems pretty functional, ZFS by default, includes Enlightenment e17
as an installation option ("kitchen-sink" seems the best way to go). It
seems it uses GCC. The FSF says CDDL is a free copyleft license but not
compatible with GPL for linking.

Reminds me of the "Linux is not real UNIX" snobbery around Solaris and
such.

I plan to fool around with it a bit.  The website has reasonable
information,  http://www.tribblix.org