[Novalug] Installing Ububunto 13.10 question

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Wed Dec 18 13:50:10 EST 2013

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 06:11:05PM -0500, cmhowe@patriot.net wrote:
>> List,
>>
>> Those of you who have followed my months-long struggle with a loss of
>> functionality, please read this and see if you can tell me what to do..
>> The cause was that the keyboard fell from the drawer it sits on to the
>> floor upside down. As a result I got a screen with lots of orange text.
>> Maybe I'm wrong but I speculate that I would get the functionality back if
>> I installed Ubuntu 13.10. I'm willing to try.
>>

> So you are speculating that dropping your keyboard damaged software
> on the hard disk.  Specifically, Ubuntu, the OS was damaged.
>
> Sounds pretty far fetched to me.
>
> I think a better approach is to make sure all cables are well
> attached.  Something may have been jostled and partly disconnected.
>
> Then shut everything down, powered off, and reboot.

if that does not work try a different keyboard.  you may have damaged one
or more of the keyboard key contacts.

Basic replacement keyboards are very cheap.

You just need to be sure you get one with the right type of connector for
your computer.

I do have some spare keyboards from older computers sitting around.

Do you know what type of connector (USB or PS/2) you have for your
keyboard?

The USB connection is a flat connector that fits the USB port. The PS/2
connector is round and generally plugs into the back of the machine.

The page linked below shows typical USB connectors in the left top image
and a ps2 one one end usb on the other adapter in the right top image that
has the words "USB adapters" under it. The PS2 part is the round part that
you can see in the image.

Anyway if you can figure out what sort of plug you keyboard needs
then someone probably has an extra working keyboard sitting around.

keyboards can be damaged by being dropped face down, they can also be
damaged by being stored with something heavy left sitting on them.

http://www.showmecables.com/Category/USB-Connectors-Adapters.aspx?q=&pg=1&ps=25&fq={attr_display2_sm:USB%20to%20PS/2}&gclid=CJ_WjIS3ursCFag7Ogodg20A5g

> Jon

>> Charlie

                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:PO box 9767 Baldwin, MD, USA 21013  |  EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
shipping address:5100 Hydes Rd 21082 (Hydes Post Office closed Jan 2012)
Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com