[Novalug] making something take

Mark Smith mark@winksmith.com
Tue Dec 10 15:57:21 EST 2013

or just use --sparse and rsync arranges for something reasonable.
not sure what it does, but it ends up with a smaller, but quite similar
looking sparse file.  of course, if that's forgotten, you're in the
same boat again.  i don't know if lastlog will work after that sort of
transformation, i assume so, but i've been wrong plenty times before.

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 01:11:37PM -0500, James Ewing Cottrell III wrote:
> On our systems, one of our problem files is /var/adm/lastlog. That's
> because our UID and GID are based on our Badge IDs, which are guaranteed
> unique. They are essentially a SSN issued by HHS, and are either 7
> (old-style) or 9 new-style) digits. Thankfully, it's a sparse file, but
> every now and then I'll forget a --exclude= clause from rsync.
>
> JIM
>
> On 12/3/2013 6:05 PM, Mark Smith wrote:
> >
> > the opposite thing is to create a huge file with very little diskblocks.
> > at best, it keeps people scratching their heads.  at worst, it'll really
> > mess up a backup or the backup estimates.  i'll need 4000 tapes?  :-)
> >
> > 	dd if=/dev/zero of=$HOME/sparse.img bs=1 seek=1TB count=1
> > 	ls -lh $HOME/sparse.img
> > 	ls -lhs $HOME/sparse.img

Hei konā mai
Mark Smith