[Novalug] making something take

Mark Smith mark@winksmith.com
Tue Dec 3 18:05:29 EST 2013

On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 05:20:55PM -0500, Dave K wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 11:13:04AM +1300, Mark Smith wrote:
> > and to tie it back to the original question... a program will have
> > libraries open, using files, text segements (programs) running.  a common
> > example would be libc, but installing any file, library, program, etc
> > will not be seen until the program is restarted.  and there are other
> > reasons as well.
>
> I discovered this the hard way, as I imagine many do.  In a former life,
> caring and feeding machines, I noticed a file system out of space but
> couldn't account for it looking at the file level.

the opposite thing is to create a huge file with very little diskblocks.
at best, it keeps people scratching their heads.  at worst, it'll really
mess up a backup or the backup estimates.  i'll need 4000 tapes?  :-)

	dd if=/dev/zero of=$HOME/sparse.img bs=1 seek=1TB count=1
	ls -lh $HOME/sparse.img
	ls -lhs $HOME/sparse.img

--
Hei konā mai