[Novalug] Tor vs. VPNs?

Roger W. Broseus rogerb@bronord.com
Sun Aug 25 16:24:05 EDT 2013

I'll get a tin hat . . . I know they are beaming some sort of waves from
beyond Pluto.

Seriously, maybe my question is too simple minded? I just view web pages -
using https connections for "business", read email (secure/encrypted
connection), transfer a few files using filezilla/sftp. I like the anonymity
benefits of my VPN service.

I believe the point about tor slowness is the deal breaker.

--
Roger W. Broseus - Linux User
     Email: RogerB@bronord.com

On 08/25/2013 03:55 PM, sean@mcgowanet.com wrote:
> If you are file-sharing then tor is not appropriate. If you are streaming content, tor will not give you the performance.  That said, if you are really trying to be secure you can vpn over tor.  And if you really have a tin hat, buy multiple vpns and tunnel a vpn through another vpn and route over tor. Haha.  That will be slow, but very difficult to follow.
>
> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

[snip]
> What are you trying to do?  Who are your adversaries?  Both have their advantages and disadvantages depending on use case...
>
> Sent from my iPhone...
>
> On Aug 25, 2013, at 1:24 PM, "Roger W. Broseus" <rogerb@bronord.com> wrote:
>
>> At http://tinyurl.com/mbm9kpr (Wikipedia), there appears a discussion of Tor,
>> the "anonymity network."
>>
>> There (http://tinyurl.com/lzapkse) it is stated that Tor is better than VPNs.
>>
>> Informed opinions?
>>
>> I'm likely to stick with a VPN for now, accessing the Net from home, via
>> cellular (Verizon), or less frequently, WiFi at McD's, libraries, etc. (I've
>> even got a library card for London, Ontario.)
[snip]