[Novalug] Cheap DC server colocation?

David A. Cafaro dac@cafaro.net
Thu Aug 22 11:15:12 EDT 2013

On 08/22/2013 10:55 AM, Scott Talbert wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2013, David A. Cafaro wrote:
>
>> I would avoid coloco.  I hosted there for a while, was kicked out 'cause
>> they decided to get out of the 1u business. Then they called back a
>> month later (and one painful datcenter move for me) saying hey we're
>> back in the 1u business want to come back?  Nope, no thanks.  Also,
>> their datacenter at the time was a pigsty, I've heard they've cleaned it
>> up, but still, not impressed.  They were dirt cheap for a reason (though
>> that price is higher than what I paid at the time).
>
> True, I would agree that the AINet/Coloco datacenter isn't the most
> impressive.  But the price is hard to beat.  They do give you an SLA
> as well, even for 1U.  I've been with them for about 5 years, I think.
> There have been a couple of outages over those years.  My biggest
> complaint in recent times is something a little out of their control.
> They peer with Cogent, Level 3, and PCCW.  For a couple of months,
> connectivity to/from Verizon was going through Cogent.  Because of the
> ongoing peering spat between Cogent and Verizon (mostly because of
> Netflix), connectivity to my server was terrible from Verizon at
> times. Finally, the routing changed so that Verizon connectivity was
> going though Level 3, so things are much better now.

I had a fair amount of network issues as well back when I hosted with
them.  This was for 4 years ending in early 2007 (when they temporarily
got out of the 1U business).  It was real cheap, and the service matched
the price (at the time I believe I paid $40/month).  The being kicked
out on short notice left a real bad taste in my mouth.

>> I've been using yellowfiber.net since then.  Been very happy with their
>> service and excellent uptime.  They used to list a 1U service on their
>> website, but they seem to have removed all pricing.  I pay very very
>> good rates, but I've been with them a long time.  I would expect 1U with
>> maybe 1TB/month worth of data (at a 100mbps connection) to be well under
>> $100/month if they still provide 1u service.
>
> Where is yellowfiber.net's datacenter?  Do they own it themselves or
> do they sublease from someone?  Who do they peer with?

Their DC is in Reston, VA.  I believe they sublease an entire floor out
of CoreSite.  It's a VERY nice datacenter, clean, efficient.  I would
say their floor sublease is at least equivalent in footage to Coloco's
entire datacenter space.  At least at yellowfiber's CoreSite location.
I don't know about their other locations.  I have to say I've been very
happy.  In the past I've seen them advertise 1U colo for $85/month.
More expensive than Coloco, but more bandwidth, and great service.

Cheers,
David