[Novalug] Groklaw shutting down over privacy concerns

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Wed Aug 21 15:23:54 EDT 2013

First, I feel there should be significantly
more conversation on this everywhere.
And we're not having it.  (I mean the public in general ).

Second, the American media is not covering this
issue enough as they're scared sh-tless.
Even the BBC isn't covering much of it...I attribute
both to some extent that they do not have the
leaked documents.. but they should be covering events.
Only the Guardian ( not a rag like the Inquirer )
is doing extensive coverage besides being part of the
news.  In the U.K, the govt walked in and demanded the
hard drives, which the Guardian subsequently destroyed.
In the U.S. this is LESS likely, but not entirely.
There was a fight about that a few decades ago ...

Basically, I'm with Groklaw closing, also as setting
an example.  The NSA is grabbing packets of contacts
and how can a newspaper or lawyer conduct business
that way ?   Specifically, if your data is encrypted, it's
guaranteed to not only be noted, but captured.
Simply telling everyone to code your data is not an answer.

Attorney-client , doctor-patient,
clergyman- churchgoer  are all privileged and the NSA
is racking up every contact made, by person and date.
Including the U.S. mail.

Most people are woefully uninformed, and/or don't care,
which is disappointing in itself.  In one club I belong to,
When mention of spying and politics came up,
there was vigorous outburst by one fellow who wanted
to hear nothing of it ( ostrich style ) and scared enough
of everyone else into silence.

Now, I'm not proposing a major "todo" over the subject,
but it would be nice to gauge interest in monitoring and
privacy as related to - specifically - the Internet - ,
and software  and effects on tech users...  depending
on the general consensus of this group.  If you haven't
figured it out, I'm against the total surveillance programs.

Thanks for listening.

Re: [Novalug] Groklaw shutting down over privacy concerns
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:55 PM