[Novalug] Number of file systems question

Mark Smith mark@winksmith.com
Wed Aug 7 21:51:37 EDT 2013

to see what's out there in a reasonable well formatted way:

	df -h

the "mount" command can be a bit messy, but works happily as well.

	mount

but honestly, unless you have a reason, just leave it alone.
it generally does the right thing.

the biggest caveat is that it must be unmounted before you do tell fsck
to write to the device.  fsck will complain a lot if you don't ensure
this and with good reason.  you can make a perfectly good disk a big
stinking pile of uncoolness if you run fsck on a mounted filesystem.

have fun!

On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 07:47:15PM -0400, cmhowe@patriot.net wrote:
> List,
>
> I'm pretty sure I want to try using fsck. There were power outages, but
> they occured recently and the problem is long standing. To prepare for
> using fsck, I want to figure out how many file systems there are. Before
> reading the Wikipedia article, which is long and then some, I'm asking
> you, List, to help me.
>
> Charlie

Hei konā mai
Mark Smith