[Novalug] outdoor wireless game/surveillance camers?

Igor Birman igor_birman@yahoo.com
Sun Aug 4 21:06:58 EDT 2013

I suggest checking sports stores - there are many hunters that like to stake out a place by hiding cameras among trees and having it take pictures when it sees movement.  Something like this: http://www.basspro.com/Primos-TRUTH-Cam-35-3-0-Megapixel-Infrared-Game-Scouting-Camera/product/10206673/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL except I'm not sure if this one flashes - you are probably looking for stealth..

Igor

________________________________
 From: Rob Sanders <rarob@travelinglightfarm.net>
To: novalug <novalug@calypso.tux.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 4, 2013 3:04 PM
Subject: [Novalug] outdoor wireless game/surveillance camers?

Afternoon all,
  I recall a thread here recently about camera, and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for the following setup.  We're on a little dirt road (we call it our state-owned one lane driveway).  1/4 mile one way or 1/2 mile the other from pavement.  We've had some, ahem, people, who seem to think a little clearing off the side of the road is a less well known public dump.  It isn't on our land, but a bunch of us on the road (including the folks who farm the property) are getting fed up finding furniture, mattresses, old CRT TVs, deer carcasses, and so on dumped there periodically.
  Fun part is that the nearest power is probably at least 500 feet away.  We do have an Wifi network in our house that *might* reach (with a booster/directional antenna).  Our house is the closest, and of those on the road I'm probably the most computer included.  A couple of us have considered going in together to get a decent camera setup to identify our "guests" and ask them to cease and desist.
  I've been looking around a bit at some of the game cameras on the marked, but wondered if others have any nice ideas on the best way to fix this, shortly of sitting out there hiding behind a bush somewhere.

-Rob