[Novalug] Why Python

Karri Balk kbalk@cutter.rexx.com
Thu Aug 1 01:49:16 EDT 2013

> My only unease is that it makes editors work harder to find the
> Beginning and End of Sections...there is no explicit character to search
> for.

You can still use ]] or [[ for moving to the next or previous function.
You can also use ctags.  Plus the more popular Python plugin for vim
supports a built-in file browser:

http://sontek.net/blog/detail/turning-vim-into-a-modern-python-ide#code-navigation

> What does the '%' command do in vi(m) when editing Python? Or Ruby?

The '%' command means the whole file -- is that what you meant or am
I confused?

> And it makes Automatic Indentation almost impossible if the whitespace
> gets mangled.

I'm not sure what you're intending to say here - if a file is really
messy, you can always start with a code beautifier.  I used to have
a perl script for cleaning up tabs when I came across a file with
mixed tabs and spaces.  It might be time consuming to clean up a
file, but I wouldn't think impossible.  Maybe I don't understand
what you're trying to say?

Karri