[Novalug] Laptop Drives

John Franklin franklin@elfie.org
Fri Sep 28 14:21:48 EDT 2012

Poking around the Microcenter site, it looks like ~ 80¢ - $1/GB is a good price, with higher performance units costing a bit more.  (Compare to the 2TB HD at $100, or 20GB per dollar.)

If this were not for a laptop, I'd suggest a PCIe based card rather than a SATA device.  SSDs have gotten fast enough that the SATA interface is the limiting factor.  The PCIe devices are limited by PCIe speeds and can run rings around the SATA devices.  And based on exactly one data point [1], for not too many more pennies per gig.

jf

[1] http://www.microcenter.com/product/370688/RevoDrive_3_Series_RVD3-FHPX4-240G_240GB_PCIe_20_x4_Internal_Solid_State_Drive_(SSD)_with_Dual_SandForce_2281_Controllers