[Novalug] Has anyone been able to install and use real software using WINE???

Chuck Frain linux@chuckfrain.net
Sun Sep 23 08:50:07 EDT 2012

If its the finance software you're in particular need of, have you
looked at MoneyDance (http://moneydance.com). It runs on Linux, Mac, and
Windows.

They are generous with their licensing, allowing the same license to be
used on multiple machines owned by you. The program itself is closed
source, but the data file can be exported to a XML file for manipulation
into another program.

I bought my first license back in 2006ish on a special deal they were
offering. It was only with the latest version that they changed the
license scheme and an upgrade license was required to be purchased. All
the versions in between were free upgrades. Had I wanted to I could have
continued to use the prior version without any features being taken
away.

The support team at MoneyDance is great. They are active in their forums
and give great advice and quick answers. You'll even see Sean, the
owner, around from time to time answering questions and concerns.

With Quicken, they have a 3 year sunset policy. Meaning that after 3
years they actively disable features to force an upgrade if you want to
continue using those features.

I don't know how Quicken today compares to MoneyDance, but I can tell
you that when I started with MD I didn't notice any great gaps.

--
Chuck Frain
GPG Key: B2420431