[Novalug] Has anyone been able to install and use real software using WINE???

sean@mcgowanet.com sean@mcgowanet.com
Sat Sep 22 12:02:08 EDT 2012

I have not messed with wine too much; however, gnucash is a good quicken replacement. 'Real software using GNU/LINUX' :)

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
Sender: novalug-bounces@calypso.tux.org
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 10:27:56
To: Novalug<novalug@calypso.tux.org>
Subject: [Novalug] Has anyone been able to install and use real software
	using WINE???

Greetings list.

I have been wondering why Wine HQ always says "XYZ" will work on their
site, and then you sit down and waste thirty minutes trying to get
something to install and actually work, and it NEVER does.

Usually what happens is that you get the some installation memory dump,
half-way through the install of some application, or if the install
finishes, you can never actually run the software that took twice as
long to install as it did no a native windows install.

I went and got Quicken Home and Business 2012 and I am still waiting to
purchase the g75 that I want, so I decided to try out Wine for the first
time in three years, and what do you know.... EVERYTHING that I just
said happened, which was the reason why I never bothered with it ever
again, after my constant disappointments and having to just use a
windows box for real work applications that don't include my sitting in
my parent's basement tinkering with some game, which seems to be all
that people seem to use Wine for.

Mathmatica, Mathlab, Maple, never worked, as Wine HQ said, even after
the "special" instructions.

Who has ever gotten real software to work, under wine?

I am just curious.

--
Respectfully,

Martes G Wigglesworth