[Novalug] Imposing my will on LVM

Dave K novalug@soupy.org
Tue Sep 18 16:40:20 EDT 2012

Hi Jon:

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 04:25:06PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> Thanks for the comments.  Your suggestions are basically
> what I'm doing now.  One thing no one addressed was
> my concern about future overflow of the file systems
> on the SSD's.  I.e. how to extend the VG_HOME when the
> ssd runs out of space in the future.  I guess I can
> reserve some PV's on the spinning disk (or reduce the
> DATA_VG) and add them to the full VG.

Since you're using LVM, when you're out of free extents, why not simply
add new media to the desired volume group?  You'd just use vgextend.

You certainly can partition the spinning disk and devote a portion as
unallocated.  Then when you need it you can add it to the desired volume
group.

Best regards,
-A. Dave