[Novalug] OT: OTA Antenna Setup

Michael Hans mhans@oqtol.com
Mon Oct 29 21:08:56 EDT 2012

A little off topic but sparked by my interest in the VOIP thread. My
Verizon contract has ended and my sweetheart deal is over (triple play
package) so i'm looking to pair down on services. The VOIP thread has lead
me to some significant savings (and new ideas for automating my home), but
the other piece of the pie is cable.

We barely watch TV, but fox/cbs/abc/etc.. are a must for my wife and Sunday
football. I can get all these stations, in HD it seems, from an OTA
antenna. Playing around with indoor antenna's i've had less then stellar
reception so far (I tried the Leaf and a Philips, both powered) in my
townhouse in Sterling.

I'm assuming I need something larger and probably on my roof? I've seen
people on Amazon place them in their attics, does this offer any advantages
besides no weathering and easier install? Can someone point me to a good
brand?

I appreciate any insight I could get, the end goal is to ditch cable and
live off my Roku and soon to live MythTV box.

Michael