[Novalug] LVM Help

Roger W. Broseus rogerb@bronord.com
Sun Oct 28 12:58:49 EDT 2012

Trying to recover data from LVM.

A friend's server (ReadyNAS NV+) suffered a power failure. He had four disks
setup in x-raid array. His data appeared to be gone. We mounted the disks in a
dock and took a look at them, trying to mount them according to a HowTo
(http://tinyurl.com/6bezctt). We physically mounted the drives in an external
doc with a USB connector.

One of the disks does appear to be dead - we see nothing under Linux after
powering it up. Others show a small partition with some "stuff" on it - small
files/folders, e.g., with names like /bin, /etc. A swap partition and two
others: PV sdd5, VG c, 370 GB; and PV sdd6 VG c 559 GB. Also three unknown
device c. Formats (fmt) are lvm2.

Following the referenced guide above,we saw on ONE of the larger partitionson
one of the drives and were able to recover data. No luck with the other drives.

Any suggestions?

Roger W. Broseus - Linux User
     Email: RogerB@bronord.com
     Web Site: www.bronord.com