[Novalug] NAS suggestions?

Nick Danger nick@hackermonkey.com
Wed Oct 3 11:36:32 EDT 2012

On 10/03/2012 08:44 AM, Jay Hart wrote:
> Out of curiosity, why are you not using Linux?

No reason. I am curious to see what options there are. I have a Buffalo
NAS and while its great for what it does, its not exactly a powerhouse.
What died was a Windows 2k3 box and I'd rather not build another one.
And I don't want to stay on the Xraid as its a way dead product. At
least I don't want to use it for 'production' data but it'll probably
get used somewhere for less critical uses.

I just don't know enough about things like SAS vs SCSI, and how much the
memory of the box and cpu affect performance. I know the larger theory
of RAID and disk performance, but when the rubber hits the road and I am
looking at two CPUs on NewEgg, I am not sure which would be better.
Appliance made me more or less forget the nitty gritty details.

And I had a FreeNAS attempt but it kept kernel panic'ing on the
install/setup. I asked someone about it recently who told me it needed
4GB or more, while I know memory is fairly cheap, I don't have any
available at the moment. And when it comes to more disks (more
spindles!) or more memory, my gut tells me more disks would be better
for performance. Maybe I'm wrong there though.

If I do go with a Linux NFS/Samba, I'd probably go with CentOS as thats
the core distro choice here.

Nick