[Novalug] NAS suggestions?

Igor Birman igor_birman@yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 09:00:28 EDT 2012

My opinion, is if you want anything beyond a basic Buffalo NAS, just build a Linux box - Ubuntu, Mint, or whatever.  You will have plenty of room for expansion, you have a full OS behind it so you can configure it any way you like, you can install RAID, etc..  Have a USB drive lying around?  Plug it in and map to it.  Want to access a dropbox share over your network?  No problem, just map to it on the server - try doing that with FreeNAS..

Igor

________________________________
 From: Nick Danger <nick@hackermonkey.com>
To: novalug@calypso.tux.org
Sent: Tuesday, October 2, 2012 9:22 PM
Subject: [Novalug] NAS suggestions?

Who is doing what for cheap but fast storage these days? My NAS bit the
dust (Room overheated to 95 for most of the weekend, fried the server PS
and processors, but the drives/data survived!).

Something like a buffalo NAS is way too slow, and a NetAPP is WAY too
expensive. Maybe a decent box with two mirrored disks? Or 4 in a
mirror/stripe? Im not sure whats good for speed/redundancy.

I know how RAID works but if anyone has links to sites with info, white
papers or case studies of data NAS drives, I would like them.

Thanks :-)

Nick