[Novalug] looking for a well-made and therefore probably old keyboard

Dan Lavu dan@lavu.net
Fri Nov 9 16:03:40 EST 2012

If you are looking for a good “old fashioned” mechanical keyboard, that was
easily ten dollars ten years ago. There is a group of gamers who preferred
the tactile feel of a mechanical keyboard (myself) and you can buy them
from Logitech, razor they are just a little pricey for a keyboard.

I mean I’m all for old nostalgic gear but when it comes to replacement it’s
a pain, I purchased five Logitech Wingman Pro’s when it they announced that
it was discontinued. Five mice at the time only lasted a year and a half.

 *From:* Nino Pereira <ninorpereira@gmail.com>
*Sent:* November 9, 2012 3:06 PM
*To:* NOVALUG <novalug@calypso.tux.org>
*Subject:* [Novalug] looking for a well-made and therefore probably old
keyboard

This email is for any packrats amongst you...

Some time ago I soldered some wires on a few keys of a well-made,
old-fashioned keyboard
so that closing n external switch would send the appropriate key code to
some computer
downstream. This keyboard no longer works, so I'm looking for a replacement.

Most modern keyboards seem to make connections by pressing together
pads on two thin pieces of plastic with wires painted on. You can't solder
to those
easily if at all. For this you need a keyboard that has actual switches.
These could
be soldered into a circuit board, or even be individual switches if the
keyboard is
really old. Ours is a Zeos KB6251, maybe 10 years old.

The problem in our keyboard may be in the chip, so in princple it might be
possible to fix the problem by replacing the chip. Has anyone done this?
Any thoughts on how this would work?

Thank you,

Nino